[FRIAM] better simulating actual FriAM

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 13:15:06 EDT 2020

Excellent! Thanks for the link to Weismann's doctrine.

As for the 4-5 sticks, I don't at all like calling "sturdiness" an emergent property. In fact, I don't really like the phrase "emergent property" at all. And I resist using the word "emergent". I'm OK with the word "attribute" because that word can imply an observer that *ascribes* the quality to the collection of things. And then that ascriber of the attribute is the source of any ignorance or (faulty) abstraction that allows us to believe in non-reducible phenomona.

As for the particular of the 4-5 sticks, I'd argue that sturdiness is completely reducible to the *angles* and the arrangement of the sticks. You can take 4 sticks, put one to the side, and make a triangle out of the other 3 and you get "sturdiness". It's still a graph, just not a fully connected graph. So, the 5th stick isn't all that important. What's important is the graph.

To apply downward causation to an arrangement of sticks, you'd have to identify what variable was being constrained. If the variable is some form of "connectivity" or arrangement, then it's VERY easy to go from 0 sticks to 1 stick. Then it's easy to add a 2nd stick. Then it gets a little tougher to add a 3rd stick ... e.g. does it have to line up? Can it just touch on the ends? In the middle? Does it have to connect with both the other 2 sticks. Etc. Then adding the 4th stick is more constrained. Etc.

That is what I mean by downward causation. There's got to be a controlling variable limiting what the sticks can do and the collective, the present arrangement of sticks, then defines that limitation.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ