[FRIAM] Conspiracy and Myth: Was Scientific Truth, Climate Change, Magic and COVID19

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 12:10:31 EDT 2020

Thanks so much for linking that essay! I needed a break from my addiction to anti-masker videos.

>From the article:
"We might call that pantheon Separation, and one of its chief motifs is the war against the Other."

We've discussed "The Barrier of Objects" and similar things quite a bit. We saw a version of it just a few posts ago re the obviously false dichotomy between events vs. things. So, this fits right in.

In the same vein, I learned a long time ago about HP Lovecraft's racism. But I did NOT, until recently, understand his stories about the Void were easily mapped onto his racism. The Void represents what he thought of as the way black people pollute a city or neighborhood. Lovecraft's stories were, for me, the ultimate conception of Separation/Other, the best descriptions I'd ever read or heard. Now that I buy into the idea that his well-described conceptions of the Other were really poetic restatements of his racism, I'm absolutely, tragically torn. So far, I refuse to stop wearing my Miskatonic University t-shirt. We'll see, though.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ