[FRIAM] GPT-3 and the chinese room

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 16:29:49 EDT 2020

Re:  Chinese Room

I mentioned the Chinese Room thought experiment to my erstwhile boss, a
bona fide philosopher.  His reaction, "Anything follows from a false
premise.". I think he meant that having a room full of Chinese scholars who
laboriously execute a complex algorithm they don't understand is
preposterous.  Maybe something like that reasoning caused you to react
disdainfully when you did.

---
Frank C. Wimberly
140 Calle Ojo Feliz,