[FRIAM] Covid graph

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 21:24:24 EDT 2020

TRY 2
[image: COVID Country Comparison #2 b.jpg]
I know some at FRIAM like to obsess over the ongoing apocalypse, so I
thought you might appreciate this. It is the second covid graph I prepared
for my Facebook feed. I think trying to think clearly about what's going on
requires a data-visualization format something like this. We
desperately want the number of confirmed cases to predict deaths, but it
really doesn't seem to. As a data-analysis person, I find the
non-correlation between confirmed cases and deaths fascinating. If I was
making this specifically for FRIAM, I would put both cases and deaths on
the same graph with two different scales, but that wouldn't work at all for
most random people I know. I posted it to The Book of Face with this
caption:
---------------
10 Days since my last graph... Sweden is basically done, as predicted...
U.S. has been spiking in confirmed cases for over a month, but the
associated uptick in deaths is already leveling off after starting two
weeks ago, and didn't get very far. It is obviously unfortunate we didn't
continue the downward trend we were working... but I'm not sure it was ever
realistic for the U.S. to do that, and, if we were going to have an uptick,
this isn't nearly as bad as it could be.

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Department of Justice - Personnel Psychologist
American University - Adjunct Instructor
<echarles at american.edu>