[FRIAM] square land math question

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Jul 23 12:51:35 EDT 2020

On 7/23/20 10:47 AM, Frank Wimberly wrote:
> In R2 a point is an ordered pair.  How can (1,1) be decomposed into
> other points.
>
> I am correct, goshdarnit.  When I was about 9 I said that word in the
> presence of my Southern Baptist grandfather.  He said, "Say Goddamit.
> It means the same thing and it sounds better."

My grandfather taught me "Gauldarnitt!" at age 5 while teaching me how
to lose at checkers.   His daughter (my mother) was not impressed.  I
had no clue what the utterance meant, and it probably took me many years
to associate it with the profane analog...   but I *did* know it had
some kind of arcane power.

... ShuckeyDarn