[FRIAM] square land math question

Angel Edward edward.angel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 16:47:05 EDT 2020

In geometry, I find it better to think in terms of objects. A point is an object that has a location, dimension 0 (no measurable property) and no other properties; a line segment is an object with one dimension, has dimension one,  and is defined by two points and so on. For each object, we have a set of functions. A point has no functions defined for it. When you say a point is an n-tuple in R^n you are talking about the representation of a point in some space, not the geometric object. To get back to Cody’s original question. From a geometric perspective, a sequence of two dimensional objects (the squares), which can be scaled,  cannot turn into a point which is a different object  type.

Here’s a somewhat different geometric view of why you have to be wary of what the kid claimed. Suppose I start with a unit square. I divide it evenly in both directions to get four equal squares. I then throw away two diagonally opposite squares so I have half the original area. However, if I follow the edges I the distance between the opposite vertices is still 2. As you repeat this construction, the area of total of all the 2^n squares goes to zero but the distance along the edges between the original opposite vertices remains as 2.

We can’t say this construction converges to a line connecting the two original vertices since we just showed it has a length two not sqrt(2). Or does it since if we add up the diagonals of all little cubes they do sum to sqrt 2. It gets even more interesting if we remove only one of the subcubes each time and add up the perimeters of all the subcubes thus creating an object than in the limit has no area but an infinite perimeter. Fractal geometry has nice definition of dimension that cover these issues.

Ed

Ed Angel

Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory (ARTS Lab)
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico

1017 Sierra Pinon
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-984-0136 (home)		 	edward.angel at gmail.com
505-453-4944 (cell) 				http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel