[FRIAM] towards a description of a goal-function relation

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 23:19:14 EDT 2020

I think Jon's post was definitely getting us somewhere. I had a bunch of
knee jerk reactions I wanted to let calm down (including the one Nick
brought up).

I think at this time the most important thing I want to emphasize is that
the distinction in question is one found via experimental
investigation, not arm chair speculation. It isn't an arbitrary distinction
Nick and I "find it meaningful" to make, it is a distinction revealed
empirically.

Water exposed to electrolysis makes gas. If you arrange your apparatus
correctly, you can collect gas separately off each electrode. If you
investigate those gasses you find that they behave differently in numerous
ways. At that point, it is weird to say that chemists "find it meaningful
to distinguish" the two gases. It isn't that saying that is, strictly
speaking, incorrect, but it implies an arbitrariness about the whole thing.

But this is actually a bigger distinction than that, logically speaking.

When ethologists started asking "why is that animal behaving in that
fashion?" they used a variety of different methods, and found that some
methods produced different types of answers than other methods. Sometimes
when that happens, you keep trying to do science and end up with a jumbled
mess, but that's not what happened here. Time and time again set-of-methods
A converged one answer, while set-of-methods B converged on a different
one. And in decades of investigation by a field of Biology recognized well
enough to get three people Nobel Prizes, never once did the two sets of
methods settle upon the same answer. At that point, the reasonable
conclusion is that set-of-methods A is measuring one thing, while
set-of-methods B is measuring a different thing.  Looking at the methods
and the findings across numerous, numerous studies: Set-of-methods A seems
to point at the evolutionary function of the behavior in question, while
set-of-methods B seems to point at the immediate goal of the organism. We
could imagine living in a world where those were not different things; many
early evolutionary theorists thought no such distinction would be found;
and even some current evolutionary theorists talk as if no such distinction
exists (exasperating those of us steeped in the relevant literature). But,
it turns out, the distinction is there.

So this is less like the distinction between hydrogen and oxygen, and more
like the distinction between PH and surface tension. They are distinguished
by fundamentally different methods of investigation. You could imagine a
"possible world" in which PH and surface tension perfectly coincided, but
that isn't the world we live in. Yes, chemistis "find it meaningful to
distinguish" between PH and surface tension, but phrasing it that way
suggests the issue is being approached oddly.

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Department of Justice - Personnel Psychologist
American University - Adjunct Instructor
<echarles at american.edu>