[FRIAM] albuquerque

Edward Angel angel at cs.unm.edu
Sat Jul 25 20:37:37 EDT 2020

It’s not an ABQ problem as much as a Bernalillo sheriff problem. He’s been at odds with the mayor, the council, the governor and the senator for a long time. Among other things he fought body cams for the police.

ABQ has long had a serious problem with the police shooting people. A few years ago the Justice Dept intervened. Perhaps things are getting better but the ABQ police (don’t know about the county sheriffs) have had a large number of vacancies, due in large part to to the low salaries.

Here’s an excerpt from an email from the NM ACLU

"Also this week, we called for the resignation of Sheriff Manuel Gonzales after we learned that he was collaborating with the Trump Administration to send to Albuquerque the same unmarked federal forces that have been terrorizing protestors, reporters, and legal observers in Portland, OR. Beyond this move, Sheriff Gonzales’ out of step policing practices and refusal to adopt body-worn cameras has shown time and time again that he is more interested in his own personal advancement than the safety and well-being of the communities in his care. As you may remember from this time a year ago, three of Sheriff Gonzales’ deputies responded to a mental health call that ended in Elisha Lucero <https://www.abqjournal.com/1478417/ag-asks-to-take-over-review-of-deputy-fatal-shooting-of-elisha-lucero.html> losing her life after being shot 21 times.  Rather than investing in our community’s safety with commonsense reforms to improve transparency, accountability, and training for his deputies, Sheriff Gonzales is actively working with the Trump administration to bring militarized federal police to our neighborhoods. It is time for him to make way for a Bernalillo County Sheriff who will stand with our community in a spirit of service, humility, and compassion."

Ed

Ed Angel

Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory (ARTS Lab)
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico

1017 Sierra Pinon
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-984-0136 (home)		 	angel at cs.unm.edu <mailto:angel at cs.unm.edu>
505-453-4944 (cell) 				http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel <http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel>