[FRIAM] Internet unreliable since monsoon began

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Jul 27 19:45:20 EDT 2020

> Dear Local Congregation,
>

> Is this a me-thing or a system-thing?

Likely the combination of wet/humid conditions and some questionable
connections/splices/wiring from your service provider.   Out were I am
lots of people are still on twisted pair copper put in originally for
voice-only and not maintained well (just too low density customers to be
worth their trouble?)... and those services are very sensitive to
humidity and ground-moisture (not enough rain yet to saturate anywhere
though?).    Poorly maintained shielded cable (usually for
cableTV/Internet) can be as bad or worse, but if it is above ground or
installed recently (last 20-30 years?) it shouldn't be too badly
effected...   Optical (last 20?) Fiber should be immune to problems with
dampness, though some switches along the way go back to electrons/copper
and may suffer, but should be climate controlled environments.

It is likely that your neighborhood is effected as well as you... do you
know them well enough to ask?

I had comcast twisted pair (phone) into my house until about 2009 when I
got tired of calling them everytime it failed only to have them tell me
it had to be my house wiring even though I'd gone to the outside box and
tested with identical results.    They very rarely came to my house
during that time and "automagically" the problem went away within a day
or two (only to return a few weeks or months later).    My guess is they
were overdue for service somewhere upstream of me and simply waited
until someone in the downstream wiring had a problem to bother to
repair/upgrade.    At the time it was likely they had over a mile of
wire serving only 4 houses... after they drove me away they were down to
3... seems like a diminishing gains situation for them, but they DID
sign the franchise agreements "back when" when they wanted the
(exclusive?) right to serve the area and had to agree to serve us
marginals too.   Oh well.