[FRIAM] GPT-3 and the chinese room

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 12:44:36 EDT 2020

Much of this is begging for, as Nick pointed out, one's cryptic definition of "computer". Lee posted a nice definition awhile back, one which I think is flawed. But it was nice anyway:

On 3/11/15 3:41 PM, lrudolph at meganet.net posted:> A computation is a process whereby we proceed from
> initially given objects, called inputs, according to a fixed
> set of rules, called a program, procedure, or algorithm,
> through a series of steps and arrive at the end of these
> steps with a final result, called the output. The algorithm,
> as a set of rules proceeding from inputs to output, must
> be precise and definite, with each successive step clearly
> determined. (Soare, 1996, p. 286; definitional emphases
> in the original)

I think it's fairly obvious that a dog is not a computer according to this definition. My primary objection to the definition is the *definite* requirement. And that objection, then, percolates out to the concepts of successive *steps* and any well-foundedness and fixedness of the rules. But none of it really relies on finiteness. I think infinite states are commensurate with this definition. It might be tempting to claim "the end of these steps with a final result" (typically part of the concept of an algorithm) conflicts with infinite states. But I don't think so. As long as we have a way to choose a value (definite or not) from that infinite set, we're good to go ... [ahem] I mean we're good to stop.

I think what we see with things like Transformers, including BERT, is a challenge to the definiteness of computation more than to any stopping or finiteness.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ