[FRIAM] "certain codes of conduct"

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 23:18:36 EDT 2020

There were a couple dozen sections of English taught to the Engineering and
Science freshmen at Carnegie Mellon (then Carnegie Tech).  Each was led by
a professor of some rank.  The essays were graded by TA's, who were
graduate students in English.  I suspect that grammar and punctuation were
marked if incorrect but I doubt that that had much effect on the grade
given to the paper.  I do remember my rather senior English professor said
as he was handing back one set of papers, "Despite our telling them that
they should grade your papers based on the strength and coherence of your
argument, they may give you a grade based on whether they agree with you or
not because they still think they know something.  But rest assured that
the final papers at the end of the semester will be graded by faculty and
won't be subject to such biases as much."

Upon reflection I don't think there were any African Americans in my
classes but there were a few Latinx students and a number of Asians. When I
was on the faculty there 20 or so years later there were many African
Americans (> say 5%) and among the graduate students large numbers of
Asians, Middle Easterners, etc.  I never taught undergraduates.  I don't
think that data contradicts anything you said EricC.

Frank

Frank Wimberly
140 Calle Ojo Feliz
Santa Fe, NM 87505