[FRIAM] Santa Fe Plaza Riot

Jon Zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 12:11:01 EDT 2020

Glen,

Ha! That's pretty good. Yes, I do use a Gmail email client, in-part
because I haven't yet figured out registering on the list-server.
I suspect there are natural limits to humans becoming some-kind-of
homogenous biofilm, and that it is in some ways evidenced by the
differences found internally here as-well-as in the differences
I find between northern New Mexico and Olympia Washington, say.
Also, it doesn't particularly seem an affluence thing. Protest and
discourse around race and culture are baked into the Santa Fe
scene. You can ask people about Onate or the various pueblo revolts
and get an informed perspective, not because of affluent privilege,
but because it is culturally important to the people here. I contrast
this with where I was raised in Ohio. It wasn't until recently when
I read Blood Meridian that I had ever heard mention of the Gnadenhutten
massacre <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnadenhutten_massacre>. OTOH, I had
friends who witnessed the Kent State shootings
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings>,
friends who blame the police for the death of D.A Levy
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._A._Levy>, and who keep
count of the number of times the Cuyahoga River caught fire. From my
perspective, it takes a lot of energy and resources to force life into
a state of homogeneity. My bets are on continued cultural diversification,
on into the future.

Jon