[FRIAM] Manifold Clarification

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 23:35:05 EDT 2020

Steve,

Before you came on FRIAM, during the slandering phase of my presentation, I argued that a cloud consisted of a complex surface each point on which met the following condition: the dewpoint temperature of the air of the air is equal to the ambient temperature of the air.   Furthermore, "inside" this boundary, the dewpoint temp is above the ambient temperature, and outside it is below.  Both dewpoint temperature This explains why cumulus clouds have flat bottoms: cumulus clouds are visualization of rising columns of air. As the air rises, its pressure and temperature fall, and when they fall below the dewpoint, we see the cloud.. Now this, like any description, is a model, and leaves out a lot of complexity.  One of the complexities omitted is the fuzziness of the boundary, particularly at the top of the cloud.  Another complexity left out by the model is supper cooled water vapor, which I gather occurs because water, to condense, has to find some particle to condense on.  So there are parts of the cloud that are saturated but no condensation has occurred.  In a fire cloud, I gather, not only does the fire add water vapor, it adds soot, so, I am guessing, condensation occurs more rapidly and also, guess heaped upon a guess, the release of the latent heat in the water vapor also occurs more vigorously than in  a column of non fire related cumulus.  A third complexity arises from the heat realized by the freezing of the condensed water.  This two, requires nuclei, and so is delayed way above the freezing level of the atmosphere.  When the rising column hits the stratosphere, there is a temperature inversion and further lifting ceases and the cloud, now ice crystals, spreads out laterally in the characteristic anvil.

This all I believe because it was shown unto me by God.  If God was wrong about any of this, I do hope all you former pilots will correct me.

Some day I am going to take a meteorology course.  Perhaps I will enroll in a meteorology program when I am 85.

Nick

Nicholas Thompson
ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com
https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/