[FRIAM] Uighurs wobble but they don't fall down (was Re: millenarianism)

Stephen Guerin stephen.guerin at simtable.com
Sat Jun 6 18:26:09 EDT 2020

Steve,

 I was riffing on what Dave wrote about his use of the Nacerima Technique
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nacirema>(American Backwards) which I quoted
at the head. eg anthropologists describing American culture to American
students (eg teeth-brushing) as if it was a strange ritual described by an
ethnographer that didn't understand its purpose.

Davew writes:
> My rationale for the millennarian wrapper around my reply was not for
> comparison. It was a bad attempt to use the Nacerima technique to make "the
> familiar strange" in a way that allows people to become aware of that which
> they take for granted or to which they are usually blind - in the way that
> most people are unaware of the culture within which they are embedded.

I was explaining my Anihc (China) Technique that I really do use with my
family when we have discussions on the US sending assassin drones into
countries we're not at war with. They seem to think the US is wholly
justified because we're chasing "terrorists" albeit with regrettable
civilian casualties but consider it inexcusable when I flip to the
artificial case of China drone striking Uighur "terrorists" (Terrorism in
China <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_China>) in Patagonia, AZ
with American civilian collateral damage.

-S
Stephen.Guerin at Simtable.com <stephen.guerin at simtable.com>
CEO, Simtable  http://www.simtable.com
1600 Lena St #D1, Santa Fe, NM 87505
office: (505)995-0206 mobile: (505)577-5828
twitter: @simtable
zoom.com/j/5055775828