[FRIAM] Oblivion resistant swarm

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Tue Jun 9 02:33:16 EDT 2020

Carl,Nice Schwarzenegger video :-) I am trying to model a movement in general where the agents are forgetful, for instance a political movement or an ideological group. If all of us forget to attend the FRIAM group on Friday mornings or the members of "Fridays for Future" forget what they are protesting for then these groups would stop to exist.Therefore I have tried to construct a swarm model to see if a group is able to form when the members tend to forget the rules but are reminded of them periodically. As the time intervals between these reminders vary, how does the group react, how fast does it disintegrate if the agents forget the rules? How often do they have to be reminded of the rules to form a stable group?The simulation results indicate that the time between regular reminders should ideally be less or equal than the half life of the memory loss for the agents. Assuming that the half life of newly learned rules is about one week, a group needs to meet each week to ensure new rules are remembered correctly. So one reason why we are supposed to sit every week on a church pew is that we have to be reminded of the rules like "love your neighbor as yourself" or "you shouldn't covet your neighbor's wife". This might seem to be obvious, but for forgetful participants it is indeed necessary to meet regularly in order to learn the rules.-Jochen
-------- Original message --------From: Steve Smith <sasmyth at swcp.com> Date: 6/8/20  22:52  (GMT+01:00) To: friam at redfish.com Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Oblivion resistant swarm
    Jochen -
    I'm glad I didn't jump in earlier and let some of this play out.
      I hope I'm not still jumping in too early ('you move too
        soon') here...   but as with Tom's question, I'm not sure
      what you are trying to model with "forgetting"?  Is this adding
      thermal noise to the rules on principle (annealing) or does it
      model something like a loss/fading of allegiance to an affinity
      group over time?
    I did a half-ass search for the pre-thread when you talked about
      your book-in-progress to see what I might have missed there.
    More background would be interesting to me.
    - Steve

      Stephen,

      here are some first simulation results. I took a
        classic Boids model and made the Boids forgetful. They lose the
        memory of the rules, and I have simply used the classic "curve
        of forgetting". The "curve of forgetting" describes the
        exponential rate at which something is forgotten after it is
        initially learned. Using Python and Matplotlib it looks like
        this and describes the memory loss of an agent
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgetting_curve

          To counteract the memory loss the agents are
            taught the rules again at regular "teaching" intervals.
            After a teaching event the agents start to forget again. If
            this teaching interval exceeds the half life time of the
            curve of forgetting, the swarm starts to disintegrate as
            expected.
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-life

          -Jochen