[FRIAM] Thoughts on the Floyd protests

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Wed Jun 10 18:45:46 EDT 2020

In the 20 years I lived in Santa Fe, I had one interaction with a police officer when a likely drug addict tried to break into the house.   When we got home, my large dog was teetering up in a window sill about ready to break through the window.    I reported it to the police, even though I wasn’t even going to file a claim about it.   What I got for my effort was a petulant, authoritarian young man that instructed me how I should contain my dog during his visit.  (Dog was not being aggressive.)   The officer was more threatening than the `criminal’.   Piss off, officer.  Oh, there was also the bikers that would ride into parking circle out where I lived in Arroyo Hondo, to party with the neighbor.   They were loud and sometimes a little menacing.   But it never would have occurred to me to call the police on them.   That would just be antagonistic.

The so-called public support services of the city can be witnessed down at the public library.    Every homeless person comes through the library sooner or later.   They come for the shelter, and other amenities like the possibility of watching porn on the public computers.    Most of them are mentally ill, and some of them can be dangerous when agitated.   Usually it is the onsite security person that escorts the ill-behaving ones out, and library staff sometimes have to take on that risk too.  It seems better to me to prevent, or at least treat that damage than having it compromise the usability of that public resource; it wastes taxpayer money.    I remember a story of a young boy (~8) who was left at the library all day by his `parents’ and told not to move.   He followed his instructions so closely that he would defecate on himself rather than risk a trip to the bathroom.   This happened repeatedly.  I find it unacceptable that the gentle souls that work in a library are used to mitigate these social problems.   But people just throw up their hands and leave it the police to cart off people from time to time.   It’s like delaying medical care and ending up in the emergency room instead:  Too late to help, and damned expensive as well.

Marcus