[FRIAM] Thoughts on the Floyd protests

glen∈ℂ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 10:35:03 EDT 2020

Well, that was part of Jochen's point, that fear is part of why the cops are so aggressive. Whether or not their rationalizations of being in fear for their own lives, while e.g. shooting someone in the back as they run away, are true or not, fear is a fundamental part of the story. It's written into our laws, policies, and procedures. But there's credible evidence that white officers (perhaps even white people, in general) are conditioned to be afraid of black men.

But I agree that guns are tangential. They are merely a material cause, not an efficient cause. But material causes are causes, despite what the gun nuts claim. If the guns are there, the guns kill people.