[FRIAM] alternative response

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 16:39:29 EDT 2020

Yes.  I don't think Nick is every going to write such a paper (as opposed, say, to participating along with a bunch of you in writing such a book).  However, as I work through the correspondence of the last week (Gawd what a splatter), I have yet to see any support for the idea that there is any fundamental reason why a computer could not be constructed to exhibit any free will that humans have.

It begins to seem to me that "free will" and "emergence" are the same sort of concept and likely to die by the same sword.  Once you define "free will" as that which is "spontaneous" (i.e., not explained by anything), you have to prepare yourself for the moment when it is explained.

Nick

Nicholas Thompson
ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com
https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/