[FRIAM] FW: Thanks again Marcus

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 17:57:26 EDT 2020

Hi,

This is directed mostly to steve and frank and anybody else who attended the
SFI summer course at St. Johns all those years ago.  There was always a set
of lectures in which a bunch of old guys went crazy about how discontinuity
was the crux of complexity.  Sorry to put it so ham-handedly, but I never
quite understood.  It was something like, "because we treat our parameter
spaces as continuous, when they are actually discontinuous, that we
misunderstand all sorts of natural phenomena, including high tails."   My
intuition was that the lecturers were on trick ponies who never figured out
what their trick was actually worth.

So, is this paper the same thing?  And should I have been paying better
attention to those lecturers?

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com