[FRIAM] Fwd: Corona Virus Prevention

Merle Lefkoff merlelefkoff at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 10:45:19 EST 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Merle Lefkoff <merlelefkoff at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 8:43 AM
Subject: Fwd: Corona Virus Prevention
To: Shari Baker <Shari at sbakerlaw.com>, Lynn Lefkoff <lynn at lefkoff.com>,
Adam Lefkoff <adam at lefkoff.com>, Cindy Lefkoff <cindy.lefkoff at icloud.com>,
Kyle Lefkoff <Kyle at boulderventures.com>, Barbara Johnson <lunah3 at comcast.net

From: *Karen Coghlan* <kcoghlan at comcast.net>
Date: Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 12:20 PM
Subject: Virus prevention

I received this from a good friend and think it is well worth circulating.
All good advice. I am sending it to everyone who is in my Outlook address
book.

Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic.

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of
pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first
molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I
was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since
then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical
transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different
animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due
to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be
widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.
Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take.
These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza
seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.
2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc..
Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.
3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with
your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially
important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.
4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including
wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.
 5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than
60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity
that involves locations where other people have been.
6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances.
AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated
objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.
7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use
your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain
infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping,
using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in
contact with contaminated areas.

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This
means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these
droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that
is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially
infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless
your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only
has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way
for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or
an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you
from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day
without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it
is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze
from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching
your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the
appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be
alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be
effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying
in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when
you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie
down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and
nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other
brands available.

 I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably
contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen
this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it.
Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and
clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the
genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved.
BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us
or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially
catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to
all of us! Jim

James Robb, MD FCAP

Jodi T. Anthony
Live! Laugh! Love!
Sent from my iPhone

--
Merle Lefkoff, Ph.D.
Center for Emergent Diplomacy

--
Merle Lefkoff, Ph.D.
President, Center for Emergent Diplomacy