[FRIAM] So what IS trolling: WAS oxytocin, again

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 16:27:21 EST 2020

Well, your "dragging the conversation into your own cave" does qualify. Trolling is a spectrum of behavior. But it all goes back to *provoking* a reaction. If one's intent is to provoke, then one's trolling.

But trolling isn't bad. I lump it into other provocative roles like Devil's Advocate, gadfly, contrarian, etc. At its best, trolling is a kind of critique, like irony or sarcasm, where the provoked reaction depends on the sophistication of the provoked person. An emotional cripple like Trump responds like a child when trolled. The people on FriAM are mostly adults who are either immune to trolling, or respond with the layered reactions one would expect.

--
☣ uǝlƃ