[FRIAM] Acid epistemology - restarting a previous conversation

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 09:45:20 EST 2020

I hate visualization in the same way I hate poetry. In my work, I'm constantly fighting the "kids" who want visualizations for everything. I tell them once they understand the data, then they're free to visualize it any way they see fit ... like your mom telling you to eat your vegetables before dessert.

A visualization takes lots of stuff (often high-dimensional data, but sometimes just lots of garbage that bears no resemblance to any kind of well-formed *space*) and funges it into an artistic thing that appeals to our (human) senses. It's like poetry in that some yahoo, maybe in the middle of eating a sandwich in New York City, goes into a fugue state, has some "high-dimensional" experience, then works like hell to put it into words. Then some other yahoo on the other side of the world, while doing gods know what, reads those words and has a different experience. How similar are the 2 experiences? Who knows?

Now, if you take identical twins, who grew up as siblings, in the same small town, went to the same schools, married similar people, etc. Then one of them writes a poem and the other one reads it, my guess is their experiences will be similar.

If a biologist writes a poem and another biologist reads the poem, my guess is they will have similar experiences. Any other configuration and all bets are off.

--
☣ uǝlƃ