[FRIAM] Acid epistemology - restarting a previous conversation

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Sat Mar 7 03:52:27 EST 2020

Nick,

I would assert that "I know you" if I can pick you out of a crowd given a 1 second glimpse of 1/100 of your profile.  We do this kind of thing all the time.

I could not tell someone else how to replicate my "know how" which is an application of my "know you."

The "believe it very strongly" doesn't work, at least for me, because I believe little or anything. "Data" coming into my "perceptual/consciousness field" whether it happens on coffee at  FriAM, or LSD in the desert, is equally provisional and generally suspect — and it usually stays that way.

Which reminds me, you never did tell my why doubt is painful.

Yes, this knowledge stuff is pretty confusing, which is precisely why I find it so fascinating.

davew