[FRIAM] Acid epistemology - restarting a previous conversation

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Mon Mar 9 10:17:11 EDT 2020

But Nick,

I don't understand your unwillingness to acknowledge my experience(s).

When I return from Amsterdam and provide you with a detailed trip report detailing all things bicycle (rules of the road, rider attitudes, bicycle culture, multi-level bicycle garages, exotic bikes, electro-bikes, utility bikes, bikes with bins on the front for small children and groceries, "deep inner peace" from riding many kilometers, feelings of being one with Nature in a way impossible inside a car, enhanced perception of body language nuances [essential for safety reasons] ... ) will you discount those stories the same way you discount a "Trip" report?

Or, suppose I attend my next FriAM while under the influence; do you believe I will be less cogent and more stupid than I normally appear?

How about an experiment where I play a poker tournament while under the influence of mescaline and another "sober." Want to bet in which one I will do better? If mescaline increases sensitivity and reduces the 'importance" of time, then its influence would increase my ability to detect "tells" and eliminate the, sometimes, crushing boredom I normally experience.

When I post all kinds of notes (glen asked for some) and reports of findings from the ICPR conference showing both "no harm" and "measurable benefits" from hallucinogen use — will that be "evidence" or still, in some fashion, "faith?"

Two caveats:

1) individual experience may vary. My brother, for instance, cannot stand, cannot deal with, any sense of lacking "control" whether that is induced by alcohol, or the one time he tried drugs;

and, 2) it is quite possible that some drugs, like large doses of DMT, are pretty much sledgehammers. The experience is so pronounced — very much like being in a different Reality andnot just an altered state of consciousness — that it may very well be a case of scrambled circuits. I am certain that "glue sniffing," for example, and similar means of "getting high" are exactly what you fear — John Henry size sledgehammers. There is all kinds of physiological evidence of the harm.

Time is something we all experience. Mescaline-Time-Experience is very different than Straight-Time-Experience. Is there value in comparing/contrasting/discussing those differences in order to enhance our common understanding of Time? I don't think it possible to truly understand Time if the only experience we allow into the discussion is either Straight-Time-Experience or Mescaline-Time-Experience.

Mayhap your fear is "irrational" and my "faith" is rational?

davew

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020, at 5:41 PM, thompnickson2 at gmail.com wrote:
> But Dave, I don’t understand your **faith** that drugs are a Tao-ist butcher, rather than a sledgehammer. Do you stipulate that feelings of well-being, wisdom, insight, etc. can be neurologically divorced from the facts thereof? So, the presence of such feelings does not constitute sufficient evidence of the facts, right? Now remember, I have stipulated to the value of the sledgehammer, and admitted that the position I am taking in this argument arises from in part an from a fear of having my brain sledged. So “potential benefits of sledgehammering” are irrelevant to our PRESENT argument, unless, of course we want this whole vast, tortured, philosophical argument to boil down to the fact that you like being sledge-hammered and I don’t. Apart from the fact that you LIKE taking drugs, what is the EVIDENCE that it constitutes a **method** of gathering knowledge less chaotic than electro-shock therapy. How does sledging your clock with drugs **systematically** reveal something about **time? ** Or are you ready to try ECT?

> ** **

> I apologize for all the typos in my previous messages. My macular pucker makes it hard sometimes to see the words as they are, but Bill Gates does not have macular pucker, so there is really no excuse.

> Nick

> Nicholas Thompson

> Emeritus Professor of Ethology and Psychology

> Clark University

> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/

>>> Nick

>>> Nicholas Thompson

>>> Emeritus Professor of Ethology and Psychology

>>> Clark University

>>> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

>>> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/

>>> 1) I am fascinated by the field of scientific visualization, using imagery to present complex data sets. Recently I "observed" the precise moment of sperm-egg fertilization. A whole lot was going on inside the egg cell boundary immediately upon contact (not penetration) with the sperm. The visualization was of thousands (millions?) of discrete inter-cellular elements breaking free from existing structures, like DNA strands, proteins, molecules and moving about independently. I could see several "fields" that were a kind of "probability field." These fields constrained both the movement of the various elements and, most importantly, what structures would emerge from their recombination. "Watching" the DNA strand 'dissolve" and "reform" was particularly interesting because it was totally unlike the "unzip into two strands, the zip-up a strand-half from each donor" visualization I have seen presented in animations explaining the process. Instead I saw all kinds of "clumps" form and merge into larger/longer "clumps" then engage in an interesting hula/belly/undulation dance to rearrange the structure into a final form. All of this "guided" by the very visible "probability fields;" more than one and color coded.

>>> Now, if I were a cellular biologist could I make use of this vision?

>>> **[NST===>] I love this example. Every stain produces a new image and some stains are more revealing than others, in that the models they facilitate are more robust and enduring in their predictions. I stipulate that. I also stipulate that hitting an alarm clock with a sledge hammer MIGHT reveal robust and enduring information about alarm clocks. I just don’t think it’s likely. And there is the possibility that the clock wont be very accurate thereafter. That is the whole of my argument against drug -epistemology. So if you are NOT arguing that drug-epistemology is somehow superior to sledge-hammer epistemology, then we agree and we don’t have to argue any more. **

>>> Since I am not a cellular biologist and have no understanding of inter-cellular structures/dynamics/chemistry, nor any DNA knowledge, where did the imagery come from and why did it hang together so well?

>>> Was this experience just an amusing bit of entertainment" Or, is there an insight of some sort lurking there?

>>> **[NST===>] I like the metaphor with stains. But just remember, if my memory serves me correctly, you don’t see jack shit when cells divide without the right stain. All such observations are of the Peircean type/; “If I do this, then I will get that.” **

>>> 2) En garde Nick.

> [...]

>>> **[NST===>] I suppose one can make sense of this sort of talk by postulating a world outside of experience, but unless you postulate that this world beyond experience can in principle never affect experience, you end up with a contradiction because anything that effects experience in any way, however indirect, is, by definition, experienced. **

>>> Two personal experiences: 1) I tend to not notice when my glasses get cloudy from accumulation of dust and moisture until it is quite bad. I clean my glasses, put them on, and am amazed at how clear and detailed my perceptions are post-cleaning. A very dramatic difference.

>>> **[NST===>] Well of course. Cleaning glasses is a method that increases the predictive potential of your current visual experiences. If your argument is only that there are experiences I have not had which will surprise me if I have them, I agree, so we don’t have to argue about that any more, right?**

>>> And, 2) the proper dose of a hallucinogen (and/or the right kind of meditation) and my perceptions of the world around me, using all my senses, are amazingly clear and detailed in the same way as my visual perception was changed by cleaning grime from my glasses.

>>> **[NST===>] The innate school marm gives us little jolts of pleasure from time to time, usually in response to activities that please her. One of those jolts is a “sense of clarity.” If you break into her storeroom and steal her clarity candies, you will get the clarity-pleasure even while seeing muddily. **

>>> ** **

>>> **Now I grant you it’s possible you will see something more clearly. See above the sledgehammered clock argument.**

>>> I would contend that the drug (meditation) removed the muddying filter of my brain/nervous system/ sense organs just as the isopropyl alcohol removed the muddying filter of moisture-dust on my glasses.

>>> I see the world as it "really" is.**[NST===>]Well, that remains to be seen, right. It might be that the dust filters the light in such a way as to reveal structures that you cannot see through the cleaned glass. The proof is in the pudding … i.e., the proving out. **

>>> Now the tease: I would contend that I am more Apollonian than thou because I value Life, and more of Life, more directly, than you do. It is not varied experience I seek, but a direct, clear, complete, apprehension and appreciation of Life Itself.

>>> **[NST===>] Similarly, let it be the case that I had a dozen clocks and you told me you had hit them all with a sledge hammer; now, if you told me you had lied, and gave me back the 12th clock in perfect working order, I would value it a lot more for having thought I had lost it. **

>>> davew