[FRIAM] Acid epistemology - Eric Help!!!!

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 12:55:25 EDT 2020

Interesting. I don't think I'd say that a unique experience is not an experience. But I would say than a unique experience is not knowledge of any kind. The trick to this position would be that, when one has a unique experience, one then fiddles with it in order to think about it further or tell it to some other person.

So, I'm along about mile 4 in my 6 mile run, looking up at the moon, plodding along, my body drifts away, and [unsayable somatic, mental, and emotional state obtains] ... then that state fades away when I have to dodge a car or stop at an intersection. Now, when I go to tell Renee' *about* that state within brackets above [...], I have to couch it in my private lexicon and then translate it from my lexicon to hers. So even though [...] may have been unique, the post-processing (couching in my lexicon, translating into hers) has been done before. The post-processing is a repeated/repeating process. This means we can become confused about which part of the _experience_ is unique and which part is repeated.

Regardless, if you cannot *tell* someone about an experience. And you can't even recall it well enough to internally tell yourself about it, then it's meaningless. The only experience that has any meaning at all is an experience that is repeatable enough so you can at least remember it. Remembering is repeating to some extent. And when you guys have this discussion *without* addressing repetition or accumulation (as you've written off regarding experience composition), then I can't see AT ALL how it's in any way related to epistemology.

--
☣ uǝlƃ