[FRIAM] Pragmaticism and puritanism

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 11 06:08:03 EDT 2020

Nick,

Dave agrees with your first paragraph, with a minor nuance — when I said "we" are being elitist, the pronoun refers not to Nick but to those that Nick is channeling, i.e. the 'scientific community."

Now as to the second paragraph: I would never say that anyone should take psychedelics any more than I would say they should spend a year sailing on the Beagle.

I am a puritan — probably everyone is, but with regard different things. I won't use recreational drugs (except alcohol to which I seem to be immune), I have never used heroin or opiates (both dangers and benefits are short term and disproportionate on the risk side). I conform to a set of behavioral rules but never assert that any of them are universal and should be observed by others.

I do think you are making a fundamental error when you apply your puritan/Apollonian perspective to the psychedelic drug case. It is not a question of trading "short term _pleasure_" for "enjoyment in the long run." I am asserting that the "knowledge to be gained" is worth the "short term _effort_" required. Although there is certainly some kind of "pleasure/satisfaction" from spending long hours in the lab hunched over the microscope, or cleaning out the monkey cages that may translate the pleasure of standing on a stage in Stockholm sometime in the future. But, normally we see a spectrum of effort now - knowledge reward later. It is the latter I am asserting *vis-a-vis* hallucinogen use.

I sure as hell hope that I am not an elitist. But I must confess that I am hyper-sensitive to elitism perceived in others. That sensitivity is deeply personal and pervades almost every aspect of life. It has been expressed on this list before - with regard politics, "Truth," and the current conversation about drugs.

When I assert that "science is only useful for solving the easy problems," that is not elitism, but arrogance talking.

I would say — an I am pretty sure you would disagree with me — that there are _no grounds that justify the privilege_ accorded to "science and scientific method." And, the corollary, there is no justification for science to dismiss a body of investigation simply because the subject matter or the approach to understanding runs contrary to orthodoxy. I believe you would disagree with me, because your personal experiences has demonstrated, to you, apparent justifications for your privileging of science.

I began this conversation with a question: I have three or four "piles of experience/knowledge; A, B, C, and D. Can Peirce and his method help me find a way to integrate, make-sense-of-as-a-whole, all the piles? And the answer seems to be, no. No, because piles B,C, and D are irrelevant because they are not "science." This position raises my elitism hackles.

I am becoming convinced that hermetic (and hermeneutic), mystical Taoist-Buddhist-Sufic, and psychedelic, approaches will provide means for such an integration and that "science" will be a special case much like Newtonian physics is a special case.

davew