[FRIAM] science privilege — fork from acid epistemology

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 12:26:51 EDT 2020

Dave and Glen,

It's great to see your two frames coming into adjustment.  At the risk of taking the discussion back to absurdity, let me try to express, in laughably simple terms, what I hear you guys agreeing to.

I have been taught a way of thinking about science that is western.  Like all ways of thinking it both sights me and blinds me.  Nobody knows everything; everybody knows what they know.  Nobody should presume to judge what they don't know.  I don't know Eastern ways of thinking.  I have no basis on which to claim privilege for my western ways of thinking about science.

Now, as a person who has always delighted in attending discussions among people who do not agree, and always fascinated by the possibility of convergence of opinion, what do I do when Dave (or Kim, or others) highlight the fact that there are whole ways of thinking that I just do not know anything about?

One way would be to shrug.  AW heck, you go your way, I will go mine. I can't do that.   Shrugging is just not in my natire.  I need to try to integrate discordant ideas held by people I respect.  Now, it is possible that need is, in itself, Western.  And what an eastern philosophy would tell me is to put aside that need.   Often developmental psychologists among my acquaintances have asserted that my quest for agreement is a kind of invasion of their mental territory, that each person is entitled to his own individual and pristine experience.

Let's say you come to me and tell me that you hold in your hand an instrument of great wisdom, a revolver.  And if I will only put it to my head, and pull the trigger, I will have knowledge and understanding beyond anything I can now imagine.  I would be reluctant to follow that advice.  Is that western?

Let's say, I say to you that "to speak of that of which we cannot speak"  is non-sense.  To say, as an occasional member of the home congregation occasionally says, "What if there is a world out there which is totally beyond all forms of human understanding" is non-sense.  As Wittgenstein says, the beetle divides out.  Is an Eastern philosopher going to reply, "Ah Nick, such a paradox is not non-sense but the beginning of wisdom."

Or perhaps, the eastern philosopher would say, No, No, Nick, you have it all wrong.  If you seek that sense of convergence, go for it directly.  Don't argue with dave and Glen, hug them, drink with them, play Russian roulette.  What you seek cannot be found with words!

If what we have encountered here is the limits of discourse, why are we talking?

Nick

Nicholas Thompson
ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com
https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/