[FRIAM] to the local congregation

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Mar 14 13:14:05 EDT 2020

FWIW, Mary and I are traveling the back roads of NM/AZ, having re-routed
from a trip to visit my 92 year old mother, meeting my 18mo and 8yr old
grandchildren traveling in from OR and CO.     OR waved off entirely,
while CO chose also to drive backroads, camping instead.

We scored a $400 room at the oldest lodge at the Grand Canyon for a mere
$100... usually these rooms are booked a year in advance.... the COVID19
caution has the crowds here down by a factor or 4 already... with many
more cancellations coming in next week.

The other back country we are visiting is already less busy this time of
year, but likely also under-used by far about now.

We are being careful in our interactions with other travelers and the
things they touch, but far from paniced.   We crossed I40/I25 a couple
of times, but no freeway motels or cafes for us... this lodge is the
busiest/most international yet... and highly subdued.

now off to yet-more-back-country, coughing into our elbows and leaving
things out in the sunlight for the sun to soak with UV-B.