[FRIAM] science privilege — fork from acid epistemology

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Sun Mar 15 08:22:11 EDT 2020

Automation will displace humans at the exact rate that we define human as that which a computer can do. If a computer cannot do it, then it is not a real human ability.

My claim, as such, is more analogous to the argument that audiophiles advance with regard digital sound. When you digitize you create a square wave within the confines of the analog wave. Unless your sampling rate is infinite, there will always be some information loss — the gaps between the two wave forms. Audiophiles say that the lost information is important and that they can detect its absence. The computer scientist responds with BS - the information lost is below the sensitivity of the human ear and therefore does not matter. Empirical tests with commercially used sampling rates prove the computer scientists wrong.

The kind of social-cultural-economic-political problems I speak of, with all their dimensions, multiplies the "lost information" along all those dimensions and, I believe, that information matters. Computational thinking is necessarily constrained by what the computer can do — the square wave. Solving such problems requires a way of thinking that incorporates all of that lost information (that the Comp Thinker deem irrelevant).

Organically inspired is not organic — the map is not the territory.

davew