[FRIAM] science privilege — fork from acid epistemology

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 13:13:00 EDT 2020

Paradoxes are anything *but* nonsense. My favorite author even credits it and the "crazy" things akin to it as: "Their [the crazy philosophies'] most important advantage over the sensible philosophies is that they come far closer to the truth!" [†]

As for "the theory", Tarski had quite a bit to say about reasoning from paradox. Frank's invocation of meta-math tells a more hygienic story. But my guess is you'd be more comfortable with Tarski. If you haven't read it, you might consider section 6 (the Summary) of Concept of Truth in Formalized Languages: http://www.irafs.org/materials/wld19/tarski_concept_truth_formalized_languages.pdf  Barwise & Moss have a fantastic book on the subject, Vicious Circles. But it may also be too mathy.

They are decidedly "Western". 8^) If you want something spiced with a tiny bit of Eastern, we have the tried and true Gödel, Escher, Bach, by Hofstadter.

[†] The Tao is Silent, Raymond Smullyan.

--
☣ uǝlƃ