[FRIAM] science privilege — fork from acid epistemology

George Duncan gtduncan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 12:54:53 EDT 2020

Qwan in Tagalog (usually spelled Kwan) is a very common word meanining
“whatchamacallit”or “who’s it” so not giving a soecific name to whatever or
whom ever is being referred to.

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 11:34 AM Frank Wimberly <wimberly3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> experiences past. Poetry does this. Nor does it preclude non-verbal, e.g.
>> painting, as an evocative means of "bring to mind" experiences. (There is a
>> lot of evidence that evocation can bring to mind experience that the
>> construct called Nick did not itself experience — evidence that led Jung to
>> posit the "collective unconscious.")
>>
>> It is also quite possible to talk *about* experience rather than *of*
>> experience. Mystics to this all the time, but always with the caveat that
>> what is said *about* IT is *not* IT.
>>
>> A specific example: Huxley talks about "the Is-ness" of  flower and the
>> variability of Time. Heidegger and his followers have written volumes
>> *about* Is-ness and Time. One more: Whitehead and process philosophers
>> have written volumes *about* a dynamic, in constant flux, Reality; that
>> I have experience *of*.
>>
>> davew
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 16, 2020, at 11:10 PM, thompnickson2 at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, Dave, I screwed it up by mixing up “speaking of” and “knowing”.
>>

>> I would never expect that you would sign up for a conversation about that
>> of which we cannot know.   But, others at friam, if I understood them
>> correctly, HAVE tried to engage me in such a conversation.
>>

>> I think you would agree that that of which we cannot speak, we cannot
>> speak.  [Tautology]
>>

>> And you also would agree that which we cannot know we cannot know.
>> [Another tautology}
>>

>> And I think it also follows that we cannot speak of what we cannot know,
>> since we would have no basis on which to speak of it.
>>
>> Well, except possibly to say we do not know it, perhaps.  I don’t want to
>> die on that hill.
>>

>> But you insist that the inverse is not true.  We can and do know things
>> of which we cannot speak.  So we might be having a conversation about how
>> to move such things into the domain of speechable.   Your goal, in that
>> case, would be as hunter, sent out into the domain of the unspeakable to
>> capture some specimen from that world and drag it back.  Think, again,
>> Castenada.
>>

>> Or, we might be having a conversation about how we might transfer
>> knowledge in ways other than speech.  You giving me a dose of some
>> substance that you have already had a dose of would seem to be of this
>> second sort.  Think Don Juan.
>>

>> Hastily,
>>

>> Nick
>>
>> PS.  Any philosopher that holds that “knowledge” can only applied to true
>> belief would not understand this conversation because I think we share the
>> idea that there is probably no such thing as true belief in that sense and
>> that therefore you and I are always talking about provisional knowledge,
>> unless we are talking about an aspiration we might share to arrive at that
>> upon which the community of inquiry will converge in the very long run.
>>

>> Nicholas Thompson
>>
>> Emeritus Professor of Ethology and Psychology

George Duncan
Emeritus Professor of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
georgeduncanart.com
See posts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
Land: (505) 983-6895
Mobile: (505) 469-4671

My art theme: Dynamic exposition of the tension between matrix order and
luminous chaos.

"Attempt what is not certain. Certainty may or may not come later. It may
then be a valuable delusion."
>From "Notes to myself on beginning a painting" by Richard Diebenkorn.

"It's that knife-edge of uncertainty where we come alive to our truest
power." Joanna Macy.