[FRIAM] Papers on asymptomatic transmission and serology

Edward Angel angel at cs.unm.edu
Mon Mar 23 12:43:46 EDT 2020

Here’s part of my friend's email. I think the differences between the US and NZ are clear. As a contrast to the example I pointed out, the SF schools closed with no preparation for online learning. After two weeks they are starting it using the pads they own,  Comcast hot spots and training for teachers.

_____

I’m writing with a short update on life in New Zealand in the time of this apocalypse.

People are concerned here, just like everywhere else in the world. However, the response is somewhat different and speaks to life and attitudes in Aotearoa New Zealand.

At this point, we have 62 cases, no deaths, and it is not clear whether we yet have community transmission. So far, there have been no “lockdowns” but everyone is being asked to do their part and follow a few new rules to be sensible.

Gatherings over 100 are prohibited. Borders have been closed.  When we go to a restaurant or bar, we need to sign in and provide our email and mobile number so that they could do contact tracing if necessary. Schools are still open, but with different programmes focused on health, emotional support, and two government provided meals. Supermarkets have reduced hours, so that they have time to restock the shelves, but there is plenty of food to go around since we produce significant amounts of most foods here in NZ.

Politicians of all stripes have come together to do their best to support the response.

This week at the University, we will be working, in person for as long as the rules allow it, to transition to online delivery of courses to our students.   Emails from our administration make clear that it is not enough merely to post things online and run the class as best we can.  The goal is to truly create a quality learning experience for students of all backgrounds, parts of which could create a better platform for future course delivery.

Here is a paragraph from an email we received from our Dean:

‘Being able to deliver online is not enough. We need to make the online experience engaging and inclusive, not just send out lecture captures. The week’s hiatus will give you the opportunity to redesign and adapt components of your courses and assessments to this new delivery mode.  I urge you to use next week to prepare. While I understand that preparing so quickly for online may result in compromises about what you deliver, this work could also potentially lead to innovations that will enhance your teaching long term.”

In short, the Kiwi response is less of panic and more of teamwork, kindness and opportunity.  This, it seems, captures the essence of NZ generally that I’ve noticed in my 9 months here.

Ed Angel

Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory (ARTS Lab)
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico

1017 Sierra Pinon
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-984-0136 (home)		 	angel at cs.unm.edu <mailto:angel at cs.unm.edu>
505-453-4944 (cell) 				http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel <http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel>