[FRIAM] Papers on asymptomatic transmission and serology

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Mar 23 21:15:58 EDT 2020

Thanks for the two references:

Glen>	The convalescent sera option for containing COVID-19
https://www.jci.org/articles/view/138003

Barry>  https://www.globalhealthnow.org/2020-03/covid-19s-stop-gap-solution-until-vaccines-and-antivirals-are-ready

This is particularly promising, especially the point in the second one that 60ktonne of plasma having been shipped to Italy from China...

While there *may* be some unintended/unexpected consequences in this strategy, it is very promising that we *already* have a plasma donation network in place.

Millennial Spring-Break Scofflaws should be kept (encouraged to stay?) on the beach until they recover and show positive for enough antibodies to donate plasma, then return home to live with their grandparents since their parents are mad at them for their choices and their dorms are closed.  They can infuse their grandparents first, then one at a time, all of the other old folks in their nursing/assisted-living/retirement facility/neighborhood.

I didn't see what dosage of plasma is considered remedial or prophylactic.  Is it one-to-one?  A pint per patient?   I think plasma donors can give a pint weekly or more often?

I'm expecting to see want ads on Craigslist "Seeking Antibody Positive Plasma Donor, will pay cash"