[FRIAM] wifi repeaters?!

Russell Standish lists at hpcoders.com.au
Wed Mar 25 20:29:31 EDT 2020

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 12:28:41PM -0500, Gary Schiltz wrote:
> Traditionally, the best solution is to put an access point in several spots to
> provide coverage. Normally that requires ethernet cabling to be in place.
> Another solution is to use the electrical cabling in your house to carry the
> packets to other rooms, where you connect other repeaters. That can work, but
> not always. If you can't run cables, and there the ethernet over power
> solutions don't work, then mesh networks like has been discussed in this thread
> are very good. They are more expensive, but prices have come down a lot in the
> last year or so.

There are also things called "wifi range extenders". These effectively
act as invisible extra access points that handle devices close by, and
fill out black spots. A lot of magic stuff such as handoff happens when a
mobile device changes location within the house. They'd implemented
around a mini linux computer. And quite inexpensive - around $30 in
local currency, somewhat less than a Raspberry Pi.

We've got one here to help broadcast netflix to our TV, as the TV is a
little far from our main Wifi access point.

Cheers

Dr Russell Standish                    Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
Principal, High Performance Coders     hpcoder at hpcoders.com.au
                      http://www.hpcoders.com.au