[FRIAM] New information on COVID-19

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Fri May 1 10:42:43 EDT 2020

An "In Depth" appears in Science online today,
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/368/6490/455, titled "The mystery of
the pandemic's ‘happy hypoxia’".  It mentions the NYTimes OpEd in passing.

One suggestion is that the blood is clotting in the lung capillaries, which
interferes with O2 transport by red blood cells while allowing the plain
gas transport of CO2 to continue as normal, hence hypoxic but venting CO2
normally and not feeling in the least breathless.  24 of 27 hypoxic
patients treated with heparin (a blood thinner also used as a rat poison)
recovered well, 2 are still critical, and 1 was transferred to another
hospital.  That's a good preliminary result.

-- rec --