[FRIAM] Warring Darwinians for Glen, Steve

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Tue May 5 13:31:32 EDT 2020

Hi, all,

I agree with Eric’s first two points.  Yay Pragmatic Maxim!

On Eric’s third point:

Ok, I think this conversation is starting to  relate to others we have had on the list.  What do we say when we discover that the next words out of our mouths are almost certainly to be nonsense?  For Wittgenstein, this is not the end of speech, but the end of Philosophy.  I think he is happy that we go on speaking, but only if we recognize that we are no longer doing philosophy.   But we can go on eating, drinking, singing, making war, making love, doing meditation etc just fine without philosophy. This is the sort of thinking that led to Harvard’s finest joining the marines or the psychedelic movement in the sixties.  And you are correct, it makes me uncomfortable.

Let’s take that first stanza of the Jabberwok as an example.  It is classified as nonsense.  But is it really?

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

      Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogoves,

      And the mome raths outgrabe

No, because we can read it.  And I also think it is philosophy because it asks us to engage in the grammaratization of experience.  This suggests that philosophy is just the project of putting experience into speech.    Hard to imagine not doing that while writing to FRIAM.  I suppose we could communicate in smiley’s. ☹

As usual,  you are forcing me to THINK here, and I have to be grateful for that, much though it annoys me.

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/