[FRIAM] Warring Darwinians for Glen, Steve

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Tue May 5 16:09:02 EDT 2020

Glen,

Whether you like it or not, you are yourself a master of world play, so I assume you don't mean word "games" pejoratively.  But that is a different conversation.  You wrote:

. ..If EricC's principle is taken seriously, the inner world of a black box device will be *completely* represented on its surface

Given your second comment, I now interpret this as follows:

Eric believes that everything that is going on in a black box is evident from outside the box.

That, you rightly perceive, I disagree with.  In fact, the whole idea of a black box is that you don’t know and can only surmise what is going on within it.  If you could “see” within the box, it wouldn’t be black.  If I owned a “golden goose”, I might surmise all sorts of internal arrangements by which the goose took in food and produced gold, but I would never kill the goose for the gold “inside”.  That’s to confuse a behavior of an entity with the internal processes that mediate that behavior.  And I really DO mean “internal” here.

Nicholas Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/