[FRIAM] What Is the Real Coronavirus Toll in Each State? - The New York Times

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri May 8 11:03:25 EDT 2020

Glen -

Very interesting view on these three counties...  numbers normalized to
population count and population density are a "good start"!

The question of what a good "mixing model" is for different geopolitical
demographics is fascinating.   It seems like McKinley/Gallup is on one
end of the spectrum (very low population density overall, but a strong
concentration in *one* location (or small set of service/shopping
locations IN Gallup)  serving the whole county population) vs Bernalillo
which has dozens of sub-communities where their sub-populations may stay
"close to home" if not always "at home", shopping at one or two of their
own neighborhood supermarkets/hardwares.

Poverty (and rurality) may also correlate positively with delays in
diagnosis.   More people may be more used to just staying home and
weathering out an illness since going to the doc or urgent care can have
a significant hurdle financially and logistically (a tank of gas,
requiring the only reliable family vehicle, etc).   I'm assuming that
the "diagnosed case" date is not the presumed date of
exposure/contraction/onset-of-symptoms but rather the date of the return
of a test or of a declaration of a health-care worker.

- Steve