[FRIAM] the end of the pandemic

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue May 12 12:10:05 EDT 2020

Ha! Well, these analogies do break down. So "precisely the same way" doesn't really work. For example, I think you'd be hard pressed to say that the costs associated with obesity are "precisely the same" as the costs associated with cleaning your smashed body off the road.

I continue to argue for context and it's importance in these issues. The RoI for seat belts is quite clear. I *think* it's quite clear for mandated helmets, too. A quick Google scholar search shows the actual science behind them (contrary to Dave's conclusion). Regardless, each issue, from the decibels of one's leaf blower to underage ATV riders, from binary rules (prison) to modest inhibitory policies (taxation) requires context. To ignore the context and make blanket generalities like you're doing or blanket laws for/against them is technically ignorant, in the sense that we're ignoring the details.

But the main point remains: It's not about the individual. It's about the collection of individuals, including the plants and bacteria.

--
☣ uǝlƃ