[FRIAM] Movement vs. Behavior, and what's in the Black Box

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed May 13 09:42:13 EDT 2020

There is no need to distinguish between behavior and non-behavior movement. It's a distraction. That's part of my position in this discussion. To play fair, though, I'll take your example of the live vs. dead duck. I don't care whether the duck is alive or dead. I don't distinguish between dead duck behavior and live duck behavior. There is no such thing as "trying to escape the fox" behavior. There is only "darting this way", "sprinting that way", etc.

*You*, the observer impute the "trying to escape the fox" intention onto the behavior much the same way a mystic might impute a "returning to mother earth" intention onto a dead duck falling from the sky.

There is no behavioral difference between celery changing color and a paper towel changing color. There *is* behavioral difference between the *mechanisms* inside the paper towel and the mechanisms inside the celery. Rocks don't have intention when they fall from a cliff and humans don't have intention when they wink sarcastically. Intention is an illusory imputation. All I care about is the action and the boundary between the measuring device and the thing measured (which Nick targets nicely in the next post, to which I'll reply).

But please remember that I'm trying to steelman what I infer is *your* (and you claim is Nick's) position. It's a testament to my incompetence that I've failed so spectacularly to repeat what I inferred to be your own position back to you.

--
☣ uǝlƃ