[FRIAM] PSC Tornado Visualization (2008) [720p] - YouTube

Edward Angel angel at cs.unm.edu
Thu May 14 00:07:55 EDT 2020

The best known tornado simulation has a small anti-cyclone on the side. The narrator describes it as “a rarely see anit-cyclone.” Having asked many time whether it ever has been seen, the answer seems to be “not yet.” Clearly the one in the visualization is an artifact from an imperfect model.

One other comment. It used to be the case that in computer graphics if something looked OK that was sufficient. That’s no longer true. With the present computer power in GPUs, pretty every special effect you see in a movie is a physically-based simulation. Recent game engines come pretty close to that too.

Ed

Ed Angel

Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory (ARTS Lab)
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico

1017 Sierra Pinon
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-984-0136 (home)		 	angel at cs.unm.edu <mailto:angel at cs.unm.edu>
505-453-4944 (cell) 				http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel <http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel>