[FRIAM] intension/extension

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sat May 16 14:27:48 EDT 2020

Yes.  I am struggling with your use of the word closure, but I think you have it as I would have it.   Philosophers (at a wild guess) seem to identify intensions with the ineffable mental states that (known only to the actor) guide the actors actions, or, even more narrowly, with the entailments of statements including verbs of mentation.  I think intensionality is everywhere in the world around us.  Every control system embodies intensionality.  Your thermostat is an intensional device.

Thanks for hanging in with me on this.

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com>