[FRIAM] Who gains and who loses

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Sat May 16 17:56:00 EDT 2020

Sorry, but this was too rich.

From the general overview blurb
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/16/us/live-coronavirus-news-cases-deaths.html <https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/16/us/live-coronavirus-news-cases-deaths.html>

Defying state rules, Atwater, Calif., declares itself a ‘sanctuary city’ for businesses.

The City of Atwater, Calif., declared itself a “sanctuary city for all businesses” at a special meeting on Friday, openly defying the state’s coronavirus orders, after a chorus of business owners showed up to voice their support for the measure.

“It’s not the government’s job to protect my health, it’s their job to protect my rights, and they’re being taken away, so thank you for giving them back to us,” Ron Danel, who owns a company that makes gravestones, said to the City Council.

I’m sure among the many anecdotes the reporter could have chosen, this one was perhaps especially enticing.

Eric