[FRIAM] hidden

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue May 19 13:10:55 EDT 2020

I think you've hit this squarely, probably because I read it as confirming my bias *against* monism and for pluralism. A while back, I tried to call out the difference between abstraction and unification. Abstraction ignores particularities (even if carefully), whereas unification facilitates the reconstruction of those particularities. I think David Deutsch says this well with his "hard to vary" conception of explanatory power. We're all sympathetic with reduction when and where it works. If we can make the reduction into a smaller/shorter expression without truncating its expressive power, then it's universally a good thing. And that's not to say that particulars-ignoring abstraction isn't also (often) a good thing. But it's not universally a good thing.

I really wish more people would/could permanently install a "methodological" qualifier in front of every -ism they advocate. So, if you call yourself a monist, are you a methodological monist? And if not, if you're ideal-monist but methodological-pluralist, then I don't particularly care about your idealism. I care about your methods more than your thoughts. At least then, when someone foists a reduction on us, we can, in practice, find if/where they've ignored or assumed away some particulars.

With the above context, I confirm "out loud" that I don't believe in this position that EricC and Nick seem to hold. I firmly believe in an opaque inner world. But it's an ideal belief, not a practical one. That's the only reason I find it interesting to try to formulate their position in my own words.

ps Sorry if my aggressive clipping clipped too much. But I rely on everyone being able to use a threaded mail client or browse nabble for more context.

--
☣ uǝlƃ