[FRIAM] Behavior??

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Thu May 21 11:49:11 EDT 2020

Nick,

You said — "I don't think anybody who was familiar with eye movements would ever take a wink for a blink."

I can quickly think of hundreds of examples of this not being true. One, I watched a man lose a lot of money in a poker game because he misinterpreted a blink (sans signal content) as if it were a wink (with signal content), thinking that the spasm of the eyelid was a "tell" a kind of "winking to one's inner self."

But the interesting problem is with winks that are winks. How can you tell, absent context and cultural experience, if the wink were 'sincere', 'conspiritorial', 'seductive', 'parody', 'meta-parody', 'meta-anti-wink', etc.

davew