[FRIAM] Peirce & Postmordernism

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Sun May 24 13:42:44 EDT 2020

*Quantum question,* taking out the implication that there is anything
special about humans: "if the character of the most fundamental of those
things — particle or wave, velocity, spin, location, etc. — is determined
by ... measurement, then they cannot be Real according to Peirce's
definition."

The answer is: Yes, in a sense, and No, in a different sense. There was a
thing that we believed would be real, and we found out that thing is not
real. In finding that out, we came to think some other, higher-level thing
was real, and so far the experiments seem to bear that other thing out. I'm
not an expert in quantum mechanics, so I don't know the currently trendy
terminology, but I understand the new "real" to be something like: *At a
small enough scale, all "objects" exist as probability cloud, and those
clouds collapse partially or fully when they interact with other
probability clouds.*

Of course, like anyone else, Peirce would find that very unintuitive, but I
don't see any reason Peirce would rule it out as a candidate Real, assuming
it could be .

*The question about what Truth means* is a different issue all together, as
Peirce thinks that is simply a matter of clear thinking. This is spelled
out better in "How to Make Your Ideas Clear." All we can ever know about
the things we interact with is what happens when they are interacted with.
Our conceptions are therefore (to use my phrasing) bundles of
anticipated-consequences given different methods of possible interaction.
Some of those bundles prove stable despite intense scrutiny. For example,
"combustible air" proved unstable as a concept, when put under scrutiny,
but "hydrogen" has proven far more stable. The mistake is to think that we
can conceive of the inconceivable, to always want to talk about
that-of-which-we-cannot-speak.

IF it is the case that there ARE stabilities within the domains of
psychology, cultural anthropology, politics, etc., that are every bit as
stable as those in chemistry, then there are truths there to be discovered,
and we will be in a writhing mess until we get our concepts and methods
straightened out much further. That isn't an inherently bad thing in
Peirce's view, it is just the current state of the field. We are like
chemistry before Lavoisier and his cohort, doing perfectly good
systematic work but not yet settled upon the insights we need.

On the other hand, it might be that there ARE NOT such stabilities within
the domains of psychology, cultural anthropology, politics, etc. If so,
then there is no Truth  there to be discovered. In the long run, we will
presumably form a consensus that those fields are too poorly conceived for
their to be truths in them. This would put us in the same situation as the
astrologers, who despite their systematic efforts could find no stable
relationship between the locations of the stars in the sky on a particular
day and the earthly happenings they wished to predict; all apparent
patterns were, at best, temporary stabilities within an ultimately random
relationship.

Of course, people still talk about astrology, some with intense
seriousness, and others as a form of idle entertainment. When you enjoy a
juggling show, you aren't on a quest for truth, and there is no reason you
can't enjoy an astrological reading just because nothing about it is true.
Maybe that is what all of psychology, cultural anthropology, and politics
will be one day? Or maybe not. I don't think psychology as a whole has ever
been given a fair shot to science its subject matter domain, certainly the
current mainstream of the field is mostly smoke and mirrors. I think it can
be done.

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Department of Justice - Personnel Psychologist
American University - Adjunct Instructor
<echarles at american.edu>