[FRIAM] ATTN: George Duncan

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Sun May 24 22:25:29 EDT 2020

Nick,
I feel like this fast-forwarded some how. The first and most important
thing Perice wants is for us to think clearly about our concepts, right?

So, before we get going into this, the first thing we need to do is figure
out whether we agree on the following:

The concept "fair", entails, in its entirety, that the coin will, in the
long run, produce an equal number of heads and tails with no pattern.

That is, while we can hypothesize about whether the coin is fair based on
all sorts of things - studying how it was made, measuring it's symmetry,
etc. - we recognize that any such evidence would be irrelevant in the face
of results from a very large number of flips.

Phrased the other way around: The claim that a given coin is "fair", if we
are thinking clearly, a claim about what result we will see if we flip the
coin a very large number of times. Nothing more, nothing less. Though we
expect the construction of a coin to impact whether or not it is "fair", we
are definitely *not *asserting that it has any particular construction when
we assert that it is fair.**

** Note the connection with our prior discussion of psychological terms and
human insides.

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Department of Justice - Personnel Psychologist
American University - Adjunct Instructor
<echarles at american.edu>