[FRIAM] ATTN: George Duncan

George Duncan gtduncan at gmail.com
Mon May 25 00:10:40 EDT 2020

You are correct, Frank.

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 8:36 PM Frank Wimberly <wimberly3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> heads in a row.  P=0.25.  Sure, I guess so.  It could be fair.  Flip it
>>> again. Hmmm. Three heads in a row………*Five* heads in a row. P= 03125.
>>> You know?  I think that coin is probably not fair.  “Fair” in this
>>> formulation means the infinite distribution of H and T coinflips is .5.
>>> “Probably not” means, the chances that this coin’s flips are drawn from a
>>> .5 distribution is less than 0.0312 and my threshold of dis belief is
>>> 0.05.  Thus, when I  say that the coin is not fair, that inference is in
>>> part a statement about me, and the truth of the matter, the limit of the
>>> distribution of flips, is prospective.  But the notion that there can be
>>> some truths of some matters is absolutely essential to science.  Why else
>>> would we flip the coin?
>>>

>>> Now George:  why am I bothering you about this.  Three questions:
>>>
>>>    1. Is this valid statistical logic?  I ask because all psychologists
>>>    are only amateur statisticians, and many of us bugger up the logic. In
>>>    particular, we are known to confuse type I and type II error.
>>>    2. Is this Peirce’s logic?  If not, what is Peirce’s logic; and
>>>    3. Is Peirce’s logic the ORIGIN of the logic of statistical
>>>    inference that I was taught 60 years ago in graduate school**.  If so,
>>>    which among the famous statisticians, Pearson, Spearman, Fischer, etc.,
>>>    read Peirce?
>>>

>>> [signed]
>>>

>>> TLOLTT*
>>>

>>> * The Little Old Lady Tasting Tea
>>>
>>> ** RIP, Rheem Jarrett
>>>

>>> Nicholas Thompson
>>>
>>> Emeritus Professor of Ethology and Psychology
>>>
>>> Clark University
>>>
>>> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com
>>>
>>> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/
>>>

>>> -- --- .-. . .-.. --- -.-. -.- ... -..-. .- .-. . -..-. - .... . -..-. .
>>> ... ... . -. - .. .- .-.. -..-. .-- --- .-. -.- . .-. ...
>>> FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
>>> Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
>>> un/subscribe http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com
>>> archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/
>>> FRIAM-COMIC http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/
>>>
>> -- --- .-. . .-.. --- -.-. -.- ... -..-. .- .-. . -..-. - .... . -..-. .
>> ... ... . -. - .. .- .-.. -..-. .-- --- .-. -.- . .-. ...
>> FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listserv
>> Zoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriam
>> un/subscribe http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.com
>> archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

> Frank Wimberly
> 140 Calle Ojo Feliz
> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/140+Calle+Ojo+Feliz+Santa+Fe,+NM+87505?entry=gmail&source=g>
> Santa Fe, NM 87505
> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/140+Calle+Ojo+Feliz+Santa+Fe,+NM+87505?entry=gmail&source=g>
> 505 670-9918
> -- --- .-. . .-.. --- -.-. -.- ... -..-. .- .-. . -..-. - .... . -..-. .
> ... ... . -. - .. .- .-.. -..-. .-- --- .-. -.- . .-. ...

George Duncan
Emeritus Professor of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
georgeduncanart.com
See posts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
Land: (505) 983-6895
Mobile: (505) 469-4671

My art theme: Dynamic exposition of the tension between matrix order and
luminous chaos.

"Attempt what is not certain. Certainty may or may not come later. It may
then be a valuable delusion."
>From "Notes to myself on beginning a painting" by Richard Diebenkorn.

"It's that knife-edge of uncertainty where we come alive to our truest
power." Joanna Macy.