[FRIAM] Metaphor [POSSIBLE DISTRACTON FROM]: privacy games

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Wed May 27 15:03:39 EDT 2020

All--

Glen wrote:

I have been dope-slapped for not listening patiently to the arguments of others, but there are moments when I cannot, cannot, FOLLOW what you guys are saying, and, at that point, I behave like my dog used to behave when on a walk together I became too interested in a bird or an anthill: he would go off down the trail a hundred feet, lie in the sun, and wait for me.   Meanwhile,  as I lie here in the sun, I reflect on Steve’s:

I first encountered the idea of a "strawman" NOT as something that an adversary would create as an easily taken apart effigy for your real argument, but rather as an armature for consensual building of an idea.   More like a stick figure with the general proportions of a final sculpture that 2 or more would build together.

I think this is a marvelous demonstration of the intentionality of metaphors.  I think it’s quite possible that not only are we working with different definitions of strawman, we are working with different understandings of metaphor.   “Strawman” is a metaphor, right?  To me, a metaphor is a powerful approximation whose power arises from the fact that it momentarily substitutes for the confusing facts before us a clear and integrated “image” of how things are.  If we “get” a metaphor, we INSTANTLY and paradoxically grasp two things about it: first, that it is pentratingly RIGHT; and second, that it is obviously WRONG in some regards.  A metaphor becomes a scientific model when (1) we carefully lay out what the “image” is, 2, explicitly lay out which of its entailments we take to be right and which we take to be wrong.  There is a third step, which is much harder to describe in which we some how agree that the first two steps have been taken fairly.  Some entailments cannot be denied, others are properly expendable.  For instance, one could argue that Darwin’s Pigeon-coop selection model can be deployed without the entailment of a “breeder”, picking and choosing individual pidgeons for breeding, but cannot be deployed without the entailment of a “flock in a coop”, i.e., a bunch of birds so isolated from other bunches of birds that the effects of the breeders choices can accumulate.

The example of “strawman” is a wonderful example of a failure of a metaphor at the first state.  We did not all get the same “image” when it was first deployed.  That failure is instructive for me because it reminds me that the familiar assertion that M is a metaphor for X is incomplete.  Explictly, or implicitly, there must always be a third argument.  For 0bservor O, M is a metaphor for X.  In other words, we must be humble in our use of metaphors.

Nicholas Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/