[FRIAM] More distraction

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed May 27 19:06:07 EDT 2020

Mary and I (previous to this cooling down of busy-ness) used to have the
tongue-in-cheek observation "why is it OTHER people are traffic?",
making reference to how we all resent the *other* people going about
*their* business impeding/detracting-from OUR business?

My Euro colleagues (Matt and Janire) are at mutual odds on the topic...
he grew up in the suburbs of London and finds our rural lifestyle
appealing while she grew up in a small village in Spain, entering the
hustle and bustle by "sneaking off to college" against her parent's
preference (facilitated by an aunt in Seville who boarded her for her
undergraduate) and now MUCH preferring "cafe culture" if/when she can
find it.   They travel the world and enjoy hyperactive urban culture all
over Europe, some North America and some Middle and far East.  They live
in Cardiff Wales which barely provides the city's best for them
sometimes.   But they've sequestered in their industrial workspace for
the duration, getting huge amounts of overdue projects done while
commissions lag entirely...    They both indicate they wish they'd been
here visiting us (where they often inhabit our primitive guest-quarters,
a 16' yurt) when things locked down.

I truly enjoy time in various big cities, but only as a "good place to
visit".   The year I lived in Berkeley for a year, my dog made it clear
to me what bothered me about "city life" the most.   Every time there'd
be a sound, we would both alert.  In the country, everything you see or
hear is your business, in the city virtually NONE of it is.   Whether
it is the homeless going through my recycle at the curb for returnables,
or a siren or someone yelling (anger or revelry) one block over, it
really was NONE of my business.  That is a hard habit to shift.

- Steve